Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Review of Arrow 1.04- An Innocent Man

Oliver gains a helper, gains and loses another, and frees an innocent man. His mom is keeping a secret that her husband finds out about. Oh, and did I mention that Oliver gets arrested?

That was what we call an eventful episode. Lots of stuff happened and we got some setup for future episodes.

I have to say that I was surprised that Detective Lance figured out this early that Oliver is Arrow. I figured it would wait until later. Now, I know that somehow Oliver is going to weasel his way out of the situation, and I really look forward to seeing how he does it. Thing is that I don't think the video showed him actually changing into the outfit, so the case is circumstantial. The family could also claim that, given his antipathy for the Queens, Detective Lance somehow altered the video to frame Oliver. Or they could alter the video themselves. I wonder what they'll do.

I have to admit to being disappointed in Laurel. She knows that the Arrow was helping to prove Declan's innocence, so he is not all bad. And then he saves her life and she says he is remorseless? Doesn't exactly make sense. I get that he looked a little crazed, but did she stop to consider that he looked that way because he was saving her? I am glad that she did the right thing by helping Declan, even if it bent ethics a bit.

For the first time, I actually liked Thea. It was nice to see another side to her beyond the rich, hard-partying teenage girl. She was actually very helpful to Oliver. He needed someone to talk to about Laurel, and she did so. Now he didn't take her advice quite the way she intended, but given that she doesn't have all the facts, that ain't terribly surprising.

I wonder what Walter is going to do now that he knows that Moira has the Queen's Gambit and has been hiding it from him. He could do the smart thing and investigate what is going on; particularly since she lied to his face; or he could do the not-so-smart thing and confront her. I think he'll do the first. He asked her about the money and she lied to his face about it, so if he were to confront her without more evidence, it would be a bad idea. My question is why exactly does she have the boat? What was on it that she wanted? I doubt it was brought to her for evidentiary purposes, or else it would not have been hidden.

Diggle is going to be Arrow's sidekick. And dude, no matter what you say, you are the sidekick. And; given his speech and his hesitancy in accepting; he will also be the conscience of the operation. Good on both scores. He is right that Oliver is not a soldier. He has done a good job so far, but he will need help to continue moving on. I am glad that Oliver realizes this and has asked for help. A very mature decision.

And then there was Oliver on the island. His rescuer/captor/mentor (yes, that is alot of slashes), has decreed (apparently) that Oliver will only eat that which he himself kills. Makes sense, work for your food and what not, but it was a little harsh. But I guess yous gotsa do what yous gotsa do...

No comments:

Post a Comment