Thursday, October 6, 2016

My Review of Arrow 5.01- Legacy

Tonight was all about moving on as Oliver adjusts to life without Speedy and Spartan, Felicity has a new man, and Lance returns...

I'm not entirely sure what to think about Oliver's putting killing back on the table as an option.  On the one hand, his explanation to Thea made a lot of sense.  If Oliver had killed Dahrk when Dahrk was stripped of his powers, Laurel may very well have been alive.  Also, the one guy saw Oliver and what he could do, which could place everyone around Oliver in danger.  On the other hand, the Green Arrow is a hero and heroes aren't supposed to kill people.  I think how good an idea it is will ultimately be tested by how often Oliver chooses to kill.  If he leaves it as a last resort, then I think it is more acceptable.  If he chooses to kill often, then we have an issue.

It is nice to see Oliver and Felicity still working together even though they aren't together anymore.  It was also nice to see them back to their fun banter and much more of a season 1 feel.  It would be nice if Thea and Diggle rejoined the team, but I am interested to see how Oliver and Felicity train Curtis and Wild Dog.  Oliver has shown that he is a good teacher (see Roy), so we know he can do it.  And Curtis is seriously gung ho about this after getting jumped, so here's hoping he does a good job.  I'm just worried about what his husband will say.

I can't say that I am glad to see Lance back.  While he has occasionally been not too bad, for the most part I find him to be obnoxious and hypocritical.  I get that he is supposed to be the voice of law and order, but the way he goes about it is extremely annoying.  I have seen shows with similar characters (like Carter on Person of Interest) who serve much the same function without being so annoying and obnoxious.  Honestly, I have the same problem with Diggle most of the time.  While I appreciate their sense of right and wrong, the way they express themselves is often horrible.  And I do get that Lance is an alcoholic who lost both of his girls.  The problem is that he seems to be someone who hates himself so much that he needs someone outside of himself to focus on in order to remain sober, which is never a good thing.  He really needs to figure out how to make peace with himself at some point.

The new crime boss in definitely menacing, but not in the same way Dahrk was.  He seems to be more like Deathstroke in that he is someone who can stand toe to toe with Oliver in a fight and isn't particularly subtle.  I'm really not sure what to make of Prometheus, the new dark archer.  He is definitely creepy and I am very curious where he is going to go.  Is it possible that he is Malcolm?  Or is he someone else entirely?

Laurel's last words were....interesting.  So she just told Oliver to find another Canary to carry her mantle.  Not what I was expecting.  To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything in particular, but I would never have gone there.  It seems a bit anti-climatic somehow.

Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment