Sunday, July 31, 2011

My Review of One Tree Hill 6.03- Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly

Not quite as powerful as "With Tired Eyes, Tired Minds, Tired Souls, We Slept", but pretty close. This was an amazing episode, easily one of my favorites to date. And away we go...

Have to start with the voiceovers at the beginning and the end. At first, I thought it might be Bethany, but after a few words, I realized that it wasn't. Didn't figure it out until the end. I believe this is the first time that a guest has done a voiceover. Totally cool, just unexpected.

To lose someone so young seriously sucks. And this was so senseless. Quentin was in the wrong place at the wrong time and he paid for it. This week, we got to see everyone's reaction to that loss. Even people who didn't know Quentin were affected, however tangentially.

Poor Skillz. Wanting to say something to someone and thinking that there will always be tomorrow to say it sucks. Quentin came really far in a fairly short period of time. Almost as far as Nathan came during the first season. Now Skillz lost the chance to tewll Quentin how proud he was. I am sure Quentin knew, but that doesn't help Skillz out. I am glad Deb was there for him. Even though outing their relationship is going to cause drama and trouble, it will be worth it I think. He needed someone to hold and to hold him and Deb did that. This relationship is going to be very interesting. Cannot wait for Nathan's reaction.

Lucas also got hit really hard. How much would it have to suck for the whole gang to meet Quentin's mom for the first time after he dies? Loads, I'll bet. I am so proud of that team for coming to Quentin's funeral and giving his mom flowers. If she ever wondered what her son meant to people, just look at that turnout and wonder no more. He was a leader, a d@mn good basketball player, and a good friend.

Nathan and Haley got hit on a whole other level. Having to explain to Jamie about death and Quentin not coming back blows. He's a five year-old kid and really shouldn't have to deal with this. Quentin was a student to both Haley and Nathan. Haley taught him how to use his brains and his skills and Nathan taught him how to be a part of a team. I loved Haley's assignment for her students. That is a awesome teacher right there. Using the moment to get across a larger point and to help her kids sort out their feelings. I did giggle a little when they wrote on the desk. That poor guy thought he was in trouble, but using that desk as a memorial to Quentin was really neat.

I think Jamie gets everything on some level, but not totally. He understands that Quentin is gone and he wants to give comfort somehow, so he gave Quentin a cape and gave his brother Quentin's jersey. And Quentin's brother going into the lineup with Quentin's jersey was so cute. I loved the two of them outside just chatting away. Totally adorable.

Peyton didn't know Quentin, but she was affected through Lucas. I also think that she suspects that there is more going on than what Brooke is telling her, but I don't think she'll force the issue. She'll probably wait for Brooke to come to her.

And Brooke was bitter. Not surprising, given the givens, but she reacted in ways I did not respect. Throwing out the clothes and yelling at Peyton were not what I would have expected. I get it, but was not fond of it. I am glad that she acknowledged that she reacted badly. Brooke is cool that way. And the end with Jamie was awesome.

Now the whole Dan/Nanny Carrie thing is starting to make sense, as her obsession with Jamie. She had a son and lost him. So now she is fixated on getting a new son. No lengths are too far. Twisted, but I actually felt some pity for her tonight, which I never expected.

I am not sure if I will have a review next week. I have a speech I am going to and may miss the episode. So, if I don't write you'll know why. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment